Do you worry about bone health? Think you need to add more dairy to your diet to increase your intake of calcium? Think again! Osteoporosis is actually caused by the protein in diary and meat! Eating dairy and meat increases the production of uric acid in the body. Calcium is needed to buffer the blood in the face of this acid and guess where that calcium comes from? Uh-huh! - Your bones.
Instead try calcium-rich greens (see the watercress recipe below!) and beans for whole food, nutrient-packed bone health goodness! And don't forget to catch some sunshine! Vitamin D is a necessary partner (along with healthy fats and Vitamin K) for strong bones.
Asian Watercress Salad
Prep time: 7 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
1 bunch washed watercress
1 cup grated carrots
1 cup baked tofu
1-1/2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
2/3 tablespoons plum vinegar or other vinegar
- Tear watercress into desirable size pieces.
- Mix with carrots in a salad bowl.
- Drizzle sesame oil and vinegar over salad and toss.
- Dice tofu into bite-size strips.
- Serve in individual salad bowls, sprinkle tofu on top of each and serve.